Monday, August 19, 2013

Fermenting Update


As I had posted earlier I have been trying some fermenting this year.  I have been using the Fido Jars and they have worked great for me.   Last night for supper we used some of our first sauerkraut and the fermented dill pickles.  They were both very good.


I have another jar of sauerkraut going along with a jar that has cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, and some caraway seed.  Along with four more jars of the dill pickles.  On two of my jars I am trying an air lock, will see how that works for me.


  I start the fermentation in the Fido Jars and when they are ready to go into the refrigerator I take the vegetables from the Fido Jars and put them into canning jars, this way I can reuse them.  I still have some more cabbage to make into sauerkraut and am doing some reading on other vegetable combinations to ferment.  Really like how healthy fermented food is for you. 

To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time 
to pluck up that which is planted;
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2




2 comments:

Pam said...

I am really inspired by your fermenting vegetables. I have also been reading about how good the fermented vegetables are. Your sauerkraut looks amazing. I like your process. I have never used the Fido jars, and am intrigued now.

We are home after two weeks, and I am on catch up mode. Enjoyed your previous "kitchen time" post It all looks yummy; especially those caramel apple scones.

Have a great week Cheryl,
Blessings,
Pam

Cheryl said...

Glad you stopped by Pam:-) I have been enjoying fermenting we have almost finished my first jar of pickles. The jars are great!