Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Garden Goodies


My first batch of Raspberry Jam!


After working on getting a raspberry patch going (last winter the bunnies ate them off) was very excited to have enough raspberries to make a small batch of jam.  After looking at different recipes finally found one that I could use with a small amount of raspberries.  It was so simple and did not require any pectin.

Raspberry Jam
Use equal parts raspberries and sugar.
Mix together and put in a pan on the stove.
Bring to a boil and boil for 6 minutes (stirring constantly) 
Pour into jelly jars, let cool.  
Freezes well.

Made bread today and the jam was sooooo good on the fresh warm piece of bread.

Had my first couple of tomatoes from the garden this weekend.


These are the Oxheart tomatoes.  They are very meaty, should be good for sauces.  This is my first time growing heirloom tomatoes.  Picked up some bacon for a BLT!
Also one of my peppers that I thought were Jalapeno peppers, not sure what kind it is.  I want to make some Jalapeno Raspberry jam, if I get enough berries will give these peppers a try.

Have also been drying some herbs, basil, parsley, rosemary, and oregano.


Very close to having enough in my pantry for winter.

The pickles aren't doing the greatest but have been able to get enough to start a batch of                              Open Jar Sweet Pickles.


These are a favorite at our house.  

My poor garden doesn't look to good right now.  We have had way to much rain and my DH has not been able to keep up with the weeds with out me being able to help.   Thankful we canned and froze a lot last year, we should have enough for this winter.  We are enjoying fresh veggies from the garden.

~Cheryl~


No comments: