One of the Angel Food Cakes ready for the oven.
Ready to eat with strawberries or layers of Neapolitan ice cream, maybe both!
Champion Angel Food Cake
1~1/4 c. sifted cake flour
1~3/4 c. sifted sugar
1~1/2 c. egg whites
1~1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
- Sift together flour and 3/4 c. sugar
- In large mixer bowl beat egg whites, cream of tarter, salt and vanilla until foamy. Beat in remaining 1 c. sugar, 2 tblsp. at a time.
- Beat until meringue holds stiff peaks that still are glossy and moist.
- Divide flour-sugar mixture into 4 parts. With rubber spatula, gently fold each portion into meringue until flour-sugar mixture disappears.
- Push batter into ungreased 10" tube pan. Gently cut through batter once with spatula to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 375F 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Invert pan and let cake cool before removing.
I found this recipe for some of my egg yolks.
Butter Sponge Cake
11 egg yolks
2 c. siffted sugar
1c. milk scalded
1 tsp. vanilla
2~1/4 c. sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. melted butter
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar until light-colored and fluffy.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in butter
- Bake in 2 greased 8" square pans in 350F oven, 30 - 40 minutes. Cool on racks. You can put the layers together and frost.
Both of these recipes are from my Farm Journal's Country Cookbook. I bought this cookbook along with Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook right out of high school. These two books have been used many times over the past thirty-five years.