Monday, November 23, 2009

Contentment

We celebrated our Thanksgiving last Thursday with our family. It was good to have everyone together, even though we see each other all the time, there is something special about getting together for a holiday meal. We had all of the fixings so now we're enjoying the left overs!

I have been thinking about contentment. Are we really content with our lives? How many times do we say or think, "I would really be happy if only I had". How many times do we see what someone else has and think "I would really be happy if I had that". Hebrews 13:5 says, Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. True contentment is rooted in God.

Reading in Philippians 4 Paul talks about being content when abased (hard times) and in abounding (good times). It is so easy to be content when everything is going the way we want, but how do we react when things are not going so well. Our contentment should be independent of our circumstances. I am guilty of letting my circumstances sometimes dictate how content or happy I am. For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Phil.4:11b.

As I think over this past year, have I truely been content with what the Lord has done for me? I have so much to be thankful for, the Lord has been so good to us. I have a dear friend Tricia who chooses a word each year that she would like to work on in her life. This is something that I want to do , my word will be contentment. 1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and remember to count your many blessings.



2 comments:

Tricia T said...

It will be a good year. I can't wait to see how the Lord uses your word in your life!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Yes, indeed, the Lord is good. And with that I am content.