Friday, August 9, 2013

A new driver in the family and more pickling.


Where does the time go, it seems like yesterday I was holding our first grandson in my arms, today I took him driving.  On Wednesday our oldest grandson got his temps.  They are spending the weekend with us and he wanted grandma to take him driving, this would be his second time out (he got to drive home from the DMV).  I had some books that had come in at the library in a little town about six miles from us, so he drove.  This could be nice having a grandson to drive me around, seeing I can't keep them little forever.  We have entered a new stage in life...it is exciting to watch them becoming young Godly men.


He did think our van was a little easier to drive, his first time driving was with their twelve passenger van.

 Saw a post on Simply Homemaking for pickling peppers, so gave it a try today.  I had some Banana peppers, along with some that are suppose to be mildly hot, put them all together and made up just 3 pints.


They were very simple to do.  Pack the peppers into pint jars, add one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon pickling spice to each jar.  Then add 1/4 cup water to each jar, fill the rest of the way with white vinegar.  Put on lids and process win hot water bath for 15 minutes.  These will be a Christmas gift.

Also started one jar of fermented dill pickles.  Will let you know how they turn out...


The other night I was reading through a 1917 canning bulletin that I had found on line. Very interesting to see how things have changed over the years in canning.  They talked about oven canning and how you were to put a piece of  asbestos in the bottom of your oven.  Another page said to put the asbestos on the oven rack and set the jars on it.  They even told you that you could get the asbestos from your local plumber.  We have learned a lot since then.  Thankful I am not canning with asbestos!

Enjoy your weekend!

Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord:
Psalm 127:3a

1 comment:

Pam said...

It is really hard to believe how fast they grow. Our oldest grandson is 7 in September, and it seems like he was just born. I do feel those years coming up quickly. It is wonderful to have godly grandsons isn't it? I have enjoyed all of your previous posts... but haven't gotten a good chance to reply like I wanted until now. I do like your fermenting vegetables. I will stay tuned to see how you like them. I have wanted to try that as well. The pickles look good... I know that fermenting them is a very healthy way to go. Your garden and canning projects look lovely.

Blessings,
Pam