It is nice and crusty on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. My husband likes it for sandwiches for work, I like it with just some butter on it. It makes a pretty round loaf. I bake mine in Pyrex mixing bowls.
- 4 c. All purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 T. Sugar
- 2 tsp. Yeast
- 2 c. Lukewarm water
- Room temperature butter, about 2 tablespoons
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast together.
- Add the water ~ stir this mixture up with a wooden spoon ~ mixture will be wet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Grease two oven safe bowls with about one tablespoon butter each.
- Use two forks to punch down and scrape the dough away from the sides of the bowl, turning it onto itself. You want to make sure the dough is off the sides of the bowl and punched down.
- Take the two forks and divide the dough in half. Scoop it up quickly and put into the greased bowls.
- Let rise for about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450F ~ reduce temperature 375F and bake for 22-25 minutes longer.
- When done take bread out of bowls and place on cooling racks.