Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Canning Beef Today


Got a call yesterday that the canning meat was ready to be picked up.  I was able to get the day off from work, which was a big help, not so rushed trying to do it in the evening.   This morning got the meat out and started cutting it into smaller pieces.


Next washed up the jars and put 1/2 tsp. salt in the bottom of each jar.


Then started packing them with the meat.  I raw pack mine and do not add any liquid, this is the way my Great Aunt Esther taught me to can meat.  


The first batch ready for the caner.  Caned for 75 minutes at 11 pounds pressure. 

  
While keeping an eye on the caner worked on a crochet ruffle scarf.  It was a lot of fun and so easy to do,  you can see how to make them on you tube


The first batch of meat out of the caner.  I put the lids on the jars to tight and the lids were bulged up on some of them.  They did go back down as they cooled off, hoping the seal is alright.  Still in the learning processes with the Tattler Lids.  The second batch I backed off a little more after tightening them and they all came out fine.  Processed 15 pints of meat. 





Made some noodles to have with a jar of beef tonight for supper.  

Hope you are all having a great day, enjoyed my day working in the kitchen.

~Cheryl~


3 comments:

Cheryl said...

The beef looks good. I like having some on the shelf. When you use the beef, what do you do with it? Do you thicken it or make a gravy?

My mom made me one of those scarves for Christmas. I do like it. I have heard that it is simple to do.

Your noodles look good. Do you have a pasta maker? I can't seem to get mine that thin.

Have a wonderful day.

~Cheryl

Cheryl said...

Hi Cheryl, Last night I used a jar of the meat to make Beef Stroganoff, sometimes I cook up vegetables to add to it and make a gravy and pour over rice and use it just reheated and make potatoes, veggie, use it as I would a roast. I do have a hand crank pasta machine, I love it. Mine has different attachments to cut different noodles. The scarves are easy and fun to make, what a neat gift from your mom, I always like homemade gifts. You have a wonderful day. ~Cheryl

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the information on the beef.

I do love getting homemade gifts. My youngest wants to try and make a scarf. She got the link to a video online. Now she just needs to get the special yarn.

Have a wonderful evening.

~Cheryl