Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fall Like Weather

We have been having fall weather this past week.  I love this time of year (I seem to say that about every season).   The days have been cooler, a nice change from the hot weather. The fall weather has also brought in the cold season for me.  This is the time of year that my cooking turns to more of the comfort foods.  Time to start making chili, bean soup, apple crisp, pumpkin bread, you get the picture~smile. 

The other day we had bean soup, last night chili, and today I am baking an apple crisp.  The house smells so good.  Yesterday when my husband came home from work he came in the door and said "I just wanted to get home to my Molly and some chili", we both had the same idea for supper. (It was colder and rainy day) Forgot to take a picture of the chili, but here is the bean soup.



Bean Soup

8 c. hot water
2 1/2 c. dried navy beans
1 ham bone
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
bay leaf
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 ~ 3 Tblsp. chicken bullion
salt and pepper to taste

Add beans and water to large pot.  Bring to a rapid boil; boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.
Cover and let stand for a couple of hours.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Heat to boiling, reduce heat and
simmer until beans are tender about 1 1/2 hours ( I let mine simmer all afternoon).  Add water if needed while
cooking.  Remove ham bone; trim meat from bone and stir into soup.  If you want the soup thicker, remove
1/4 cup beans, mash and stir back into soup.  Salt and pepper to taste.

If you do not have a ham bone you can use left over ham. With out the ham bone I add a little liquid smoke and some ham bullion.  Very good served with corn bread


 Apple Crisp

4 c. chopped apples
1/2c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
Toss fruit with sugar and cinnamon and put into a greased baking dish.
1 c. quick oats
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. butter melted.
Combine oats, brown sugar and flour.  Stir in melted butter until well combined.  
Pour over apples.
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees (until apples are tender).

Enjoy with whipped cream or ice cream.   yum!

I will be serving mine with ice cream  tonight.  

First apples that I have used from our tree this year.  We don't know what kind of apples they are, our neighbors mom planted the tree in the late 60's.  The apples are better after a frost, but I couldn't wait any longer~smile.



No comments: