I won the giveaway over at Simply Homemaking, Gina was giving away the book Marital Bliss. It sounded so good, I enjoy reading Godly books on marriage. Check out her blog I am sure you will enjoy it.
We have enjoyed some cooler weather earlier this week, temps are back up today. Enjoy the canning so much more when the temperatures are cooler and not so humid, but it doesn't always work out that way. It may be hot at times but we will certainly enjoy the foods this winter.
The fermented mixed vegetables that I tried to make did not turn out. They had mold on top and never really showed any signs of fermenting. This is the second time I have tried to do this and it just doesn't seem to work for me, I am not sure what is happening.
Here is the recipe that I used for dill pickles this week.
8 pounds 4 - 6 inch cucumbers, cut lenghtwise
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canning salt
1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 quart water
3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
Dill (1 head per jar)
- Wash the cucumbers and cut
- Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar and water in a large sauce pan
- Tie spices in a bag and add to the vinegar mixture; simmer for 15 min.
- Pack cucumbers into hot jars: put one head dill in each jar
- Ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/4 inch headspace
- Put on lids
- Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in hot water bath
- Yield: about 7 pints or 3 quarts