Thursday, July 22, 2010

Red Sky In The Morning

This morning when I looked out our bedroom window we had the most beautiful red sky.  Went to get my camera to take a picture.  In just the minute it took to get out the door it was already starting to lighten.  But still very pretty.

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork. 
Psalm 19:1 


Was so much brighter just before snapping the picture.
My dad always said red sky in the morning sailors take warning.
About five minutes after this picture it started raining and it is still raining.  They are predicting 
rain for all weekend.

Canned my first dill pickles of the season yesterday morning.  Put up six quarts and saved the rest for using fresh.  My dh likes cucumbers sliced in vinegar, we go through a lot of them.



This spring as the dill was coming up I was just sure that the dill would be all done before the cucumbers were ready to start using.  My dill came up on it's own this year, so it was up before the cucumbers were even planted.  I love the way God takes care of even the little things like dill being ready when the cucumbers are.  The dill has been headed out for quite some time now, it has beautiful big heads on it just right for canning.

After getting the pickles done, went to my dads for the day.  My niece and  her husband was up from North Carolina.  It was so good to see her, it has been a few years since she has been up.  She moved to NC when she was around 16 so she has a lovely southern accent which she tries to say isn't so.  Although her husband was raised in the south and his accent is really southern.  It was just good to get caught up and visit.
My niece with grandpa (my dad)
These times are special, especially with my dads health.

Today with the rain it is a good day to bake so I am making some bread and cinnamon rolls and noodles.  Also have beans to freeze that I picked after supper last night.  Then plan on spending the rest of the afternoon sewing.

Have a wonderful day!

Recipe:

Mom's Dill Pickles (makes 12 quarts)
  • per quart jar add:
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tbsp. canning salt
  •  3 heads dill
Brine
  •  4 quarts water
  • 1 quart Apple Cider vinegar

Wash and sterilize your jars.  In the bottom of each jar put one head of dill, pack in cucumbers and add another head of dill in the middle of the jar, finish packing in the cucumbers and add remaining dill along with the sugar and salt.
Bring the brine to a boil and keep it simmering, ladle brine into jars so it covers the cucumbers and is about 1/2 inch from the top of jar. Wipe top of jar with a damp cloth put on lids and  screw on tight.  Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. 









No comments: