Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Baking & Sewing


Today was going to be a day of sewing for me. Before getting started decided to make cinnamon rolls for my DH. He had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that cinnamon rolls would be good, but at that time we had all of the Christmas cookies and candy around.

The frosting is made from powdered sugar, butter, milk, and maple flavoring (instead of vanilla). They were still warm when he got home from work.

After making the dough the rest of the day was going to be spent sewing, but my machine or should I say the darning foot had other plans for me! I was working on a disappearing nine patch table runner. When I started the free motion quilting the darning foot broke. So tomorrow I am off to see if the local Hancock store has a foot that will work on my machine. My DH found a place on line that we can get one if I can't get it in town. Why is it that it's no problem if you don't sew for a few days, but let something break and it's panic time:o) Hopefully I will be back to sewing tomorrow!

Cinnamon Rolls

3/4 cup milk 80F
1 egg
3 cups flour (used 1/2 whole wheat)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. soft butter
2 tsp. yeast

Filling
1/3 cup butter softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 or 3 tsp. cinnamon (to your taste)

1. Add warm milk, egg, and milk to mixing bowl.
2. Add flour, salt, and yeast.
3. Mix together, then knead for 10 minutes.
4. Cover and let rise until doubled in a warm place.
5. Roll dough into a rectangle and spread with the butter, then sprinkle with sugar, and cinnamon. (you can also add walnuts and raisins)
6. Roll dough up tightly on long side. Press edges to seal and form into a 12 inch long, roll. With a knife cut roll into 12 pieces. Place rolls into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
7. Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on rack then drizzle with a powdered sugar icing.


2 comments:

Tricia T said...

Did you find a foot for your machine?? It makes it hard to shift gears when something breaks, doesn't it!!

The imPerfect Housewife said...

I've never made homemade cinnamon rolls but this makes me want to try. I got a bread machine last year and I'm going to try your bread recipe - I'm always looking for new good ones. I LOVE the bread machine and it does make it easy (for me anyway) to get more wheat and grains, etc. into our meals. Have a great weekend ~ ♥